Bellingham Aquarium Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second-Hand Fish

Go down

Second-Hand Fish Empty Re: Second-Hand Fish

Post by Fyurae Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:26 am

Thanks to finishing my stand, setting up a tank for my cories, and a guy in Everett who was giving away plants, I redecorated a bit.

First, the big tank. I got a bunch of dwarf sag (I think is what he said. It's all grass to me.) to put in my foreground. I also opted to move some things out of this tank. One is the java moss. I removed all of the free floating moss, leaving only what was carpeting a rock and attached to logs, and put the rest in my cory grow-out tank for the fry. I also removed my java fern to the nano, with better substrate and light. Incoming was all the guppy grass from the nano--it had completely taken over and the betta was not happy about it. (The cories were delighted.) I moved the pennywort from the back to the front next to my couch, so I can more easily sit and look for eggs. I put a sponge on my intake to keep my new 60 gallon filter from sucking up all the guppy grass.

Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0231Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0227Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0237Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0236Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0234Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0233Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0227

Next, the 10g I setup for a grow out. I hope to get something larger, like a 20 long, eventually. For now if I need more space I can setup a second 10g. I put light play sand from Bobbie in here so I can see the fry better when they are tiny. Wouldn't you know that as I was removing eggs from the 29 today, they started hatching? I had put them in a specimen jar, so I got to see a couple fry hatch. For right now the eggs and newborns are hanging in the jar on the side of the tank. Since they don't have much occassion to swim up, I don't think the fry will get out. I may look into getting a breeder box just so I can watch the eggs more closely. There wasn't much sand left, so its very thin. I put all my java moss in here, and one of the new plants I haven't identified yet.

Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0235Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0219Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0216Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0215Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0214Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0239Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0238Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0229Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0228

Finally, in my nano I removed all the guppy grass. My betta, who has been sulking for the past week or so, and had me rather concerned, is much happier already. I realized today that because it has such high watt per gallon, the guppy grass was going nuts. I decided to give up the space for something that could use the light and richer substrate (it has a bit of soil mixed in). So I put my java fern and a new, as yet unidentified, plant in it's place. There are at least two new fry in this tank (or were), and I think they are from my pygmy cories, since the other sterbai are only a couple months old.

Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0241Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0220Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0223Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0224

Also, I found this snail in the plants. I dunno what kind it is yet.

Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0244Second-Hand Fish Th_SAM_0242

I still want a riparium, but I think it might be a ways off, since I want something taller than a 10 to do it in. I might just setup a 10g to start collecting the plants for it.

See you all Thursday.
Fyurae
Fyurae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Second-Hand Fish Empty Second-Hand Fish

Post by Fyurae Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:14 pm

I currently have two setups.

First, is a nano betta tank (3.5 gallons) It is supposed to have my betta and some pygmy cories. Right now, it is also serving as my cory grow out tank, so there are additionally 5 juvenile Sterbai cories. And, one guppy that was interesting looking and was an impulse buy the last time I went to pet smart to buy dog food (its always the dog's fault when I get a new fish.)

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0132

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0133

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0136

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0139

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0143

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0144

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0150

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0151

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0156

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0165

I have plans prepared to make a 3 x 10gallon stand, and the materials. I just havent had the time on a nice day to do it. But within the next two weeks it should be done. Then I'll have a 10 gallon riparium, a cory spawning tank, and a cold tank, probably with guppies now that I have a male.

My other current setup is a 29 gallon tropical community tank. I have a pair of dwarf gourami, 10 rasbora hets (a smaller morph of harlequin rasboras), 6 otos, 3 adult sterbai cory, and two crack fish--I mean zebra danios. The most recent addition is the girl for my dwarf gourami. She's adorable, and they seem to have hit it off quickly. Right now my nano is where all the excitement is, though.

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0182

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0174

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0176

Second-Hand Fish SAM_0178
Fyurae
Fyurae
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum